Save favourite 25 Sep September 2017

Who needs a visa?

Nationals of non EU/EEA countries may need a visa.

A visa is a permit that must be applied for before entering the Schengen area (including Sweden) for a short period. The aim of the visit may be to visit relatives or friends, a tourist visit, a business visit, to participate in a conference or just to travel through (transit). The decision to grant a visa is made in advance of the visit.

If you later wish to extend your visit you must, in most cases, apply for a residence permit.

A person who knows in advance that he or she wishes to be in Sweden for a period longer than three months should automatically apply to the Swedish mission abroad for a residence permit.