Recruitment of Personnel from Overseas

Save favourite 18 Dec December 2017

This information is intended as a general guide; for more comprehensive information, please contact the appropriate authorities.

The Swedish Migration Board

Residence permits

If you are an EU/EEA national, you automatically have the right of residence, which includes the right to work in Sweden without a work and residence permit.
More information

Working in Sweden

You are required to have a work permit if you intend to work in Sweden and come from a country that is not a part of the EU/ Schengen zone.     
More information


Nationals of non EU/EEA countries may need a visa. A list of the countries or regions whose citizens must have visas to enter Sweden.
More information

National Registration

If you have a residence permit valid for 12 months or longer you become entitled to National Registration and you can apply for a Swedish civic registration number.
More information

Tax liability

If you stay in Sweden for less than six months, your tax liability is limited. Taxable earned income is subject to special income tax for non-residents (SINK), which is at the rate of 25%.  If you are resident in Sweden for six months or more you have unlimited tax liability here.
More information

Read more


Forms from other organizations

Registration of right of residence, no.141011. Migration Board (Migrationsverket)

Application for Tax Relief - Foreign Employees FSN 1220B. Taxation of Research Workers Board (Forskarskattenämnden)

Application for Swedish work permit - for applications outside Sweden

English form no 149011. Migration Board (Migrationsverket)

Application for Swedish work permit - for applicants currently in Sweden

English form no 151011. Migration Board (Migrationsverket)

Application - Special income tax for non-residents SINK SKV 4350a. Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)

Forms (Miun document) Employment Agreement (MIUN document)